6H: Safe Blogging & digital footprints

6H will be continuing their learning about blogging today and what better way than to practise here, on our school blog.

Sometimes people say controversial things on the internet; they may present their opinion as fact, they may refer to statistics that can’t be verified, they may tell or spread, sometimes unwittingly, lies or they may say unkind things and pass them off as jokes. You will see statements that you don’t like online, and sometimes you have to be brave by challenging those statements in a calm, polite, factual way. You may find yourself having to challenge your friends views – which takes alot of bravery.

Read the tweet below:

How does it make you feel? Why does it make you feel that way? How should you respond?

TASK: Reply to this tweet, in a calm, measured way explaining how it made you feel. If you feel you need to offer advice to Arron Banks or Caroline Lucas, what would it be? If you like either of their tweets, explain why. If you want further clarification of what the comments purpose was, ask them.

NOTE: I will be moderating comments for this post. As long as you abide by the blog rules, and you write in complete sentences, I will publish your comments.

You can’t ‘unsay’ things on the internet/social media. This is your digital footprint; it is your responsibility to make sure that your digital footprint (everything about you in digital form – comments, photos etc) are the best version of you. Rightly or wrongly, others will judge you on it.

48 Comments

on “6H: Safe Blogging & digital footprints
48 Comments on “6H: Safe Blogging & digital footprints
  1. I think Greta Thunburg is doing an incredible thing, and i wish her good luck on her trip. I am personally think it is disgusting to wish for a young child, especially since she is doing all of this for the planet, to be in a freak accident. I am sure she is perfectly safe on her incredible outing. Good luck, Greta! 🙂

2. I think Arron Banks was extremely cruel and should not have said that to Caroline Lucas or Greta Thunberg and it is not alright even if it was a joke because that will make Greta Thunberg worried and Caroline Lucas upset.
    Many people may disagree with me though but that is their opinion , not mine

3. I also wonder why you would say such a terrible thing. Please be careful of what you say in the future, as Caroline only meant for it to be a good luck message for Greta. But i suspect if Greta Thunburg was to have an accident, (not that she will, ) we now know who to blame.

4. I think this is really mean and if something did happen, then who would be the first person to be talked to (you) and everyone will be talking about you and you will be mentioned in the news and sued!

Greta Thunberg is trying to make the world a better place and it is amazing as a 16 year old is more responsible then you and i totally agree with everything she says and it is amazing how brave you have to be to stand up to our planet!

5. I think that Arron Banks is being quite rude, the chances of a freak yachting accident in august is a 10% chance. I personally think that Greta Thunberg is doing a great job to stop climate change and make the world a better place, But I think that this man is trying to stop this from happing! He may also trying to make her confidence decrease. I think this man needs to be stopped! Greta Thunberg Is an amazing 16 year old girl trying to change the world!

• Whilst I agree with your view, it is important to stay calm and measured. Also, beware of making up stats (‘the chances of a freak yachting accident in august is a 10% chance’). 56.81233% of stats are made up! 😉

6. Also, i have to add that if greta thunburg were to have an accident, alough it is unlikely she will, you would have a hard time explaining yourself. I really hope you were joking, as i have a lot of respect for Greta. One day you will see what she has achieved and regret your comment, so please be careful what you type in future. thanks! 🙂

• I agree with you, however, I would be careful of phrases like, ‘be careful what you type in the future’ as it may come across as aggressive (which may result in a more aggressive response).

7. what if something actually happens to @GretaThunberg you would be asked about it @GretaThunberg does amazing things to the planet and it sounds like you want something to happen to her.

8. I really hope that when you wrote that that you were joking because many people respect what Greta Thunberg has done. what if Greta Thunberg was in an accident you would be the first to get the blame. Greta Thunberg wants to do so much for our planet and wants to save the world but you might not be able to see the difference she might make if her plan works. If you do live to see the difference you will regret sending what you sent. I hope you realise what she is doing for our planet. She is only 16 I hope you respect what she is trying to do at such a young age. Maybe you should re-think what you wrote. good luck Greta:)

9. The comment that Arron Banks posted made me feel very angry because the way he said accidents happen made me think that he wanted Greta Thunberg to have an accident in the Ocean. It makes me feel this way because Greta is doing a great thing and I don’t see why anyone would want something bad to happen to her. I would say to Arron Banks that he was being very rude and should apologize because Greta is trying to save the world so all of us can live in peace.

10. Why did you say that, it is a bit nice to warn some about it but I would think what I am saying before I say it. It makes me feel a bit sad and worried and it might get her confident level go down.

11. I think this is unacceptable as Greta Thunberg is trying to do a good deed to the planet.Why are you being so mean to her?
    Greta Thunberg is brave to be standing up to her beliefs.

12. I think that Mr Banks should rethink his comment. He was probably thinking Greta Thunberg = Less money. But what if there was no planet to spend the money on? Thats what Greta Thunburg is trying to prevent. So banks, I hope you take this into consideration! :p

13. Thank you Caroline for congratulating Greta she truly deserves it. i think she is amazing and what she is trying to do is incredible. i hope she succeeds. good luck Greta. 🙂

14. I think it was quite upsetting to both Caroline and Greta and offensive. If any freak yacht accident did happen, then the first person everyone would blame Arron. And now that comment is on his digital footprint forever.

15. If something happened to Greta Thunberg Aron Banks would be first to be accused. I think that was a little cruel because Greta Thunberg is trying to make the world a better place.

16. This comment that Arron Banks sent to Caroline Lucas made me feel like Arron is making Greta Thunberg lose her confidence which makes me feel shocked. She is only 16 years old and she is changing are planet. Its so mean to say that and Arron probably wants that to happen to her.

17. I think Caroline Lucas is amazing and is doing the right thing. I think Arron Banks is a bad person and is doing the wrong thing. Why are you doing this Arron? I wouldn’t do that at all I would care for the enviroment instead.

18. I think that Mr Banks isn’t caring enough about the environment as he is saying that Greta Thunberg might get in an accident. This is quite irresponsible and mean because Greta is putting all her passion into changing the world however not all people respect that. We must all remember that Greta is 16 and that she is trying as hard as she can to save the environment. Why are you doing this Arron Banks? Do you care about the future generations?

19. I believe that Arron Banks should not have posted what he did. In my opinion it was unkind and made me feel angry. Greta Thunberg has been doing so much for our environment, our wild life and our planet and she’s only 16. Reading Caroline’s made me feel good and that she is appreciating Greta Thunberg’s work.

20. This comment from Arron Banks post is very unkind and unsupportive to Greta Thunberg who is a brave girl trying to make a difference to save our planet. Arron has made a bad decision to pick on her on her way to help us and our future children to live in a clean and beautiful world. Greta Thunberg / A TRUE HERO!!!